Friday, June 15, 2012

It's a Small World (June 13th)


I only had one class today and we played Jeopardy since the other class played it yesterday. Today’s class was not as energetic and did not get as competitive with grabbing the water bottle. Still, there were funny moments. We had a boyfriend/girlfriend face off with Vicky and Erik which was interesting. We also had a girl who just came out of nowhere grabbing that bottle. Her name is Kate and she seems more like a tomboy. She doesn’t wear “girly” clothes like the others and I don’t think she’s ever worn shoes other than her sneaker-type shoes.

After class, I had to print out more copies of the final exam for the college to keep for whatever reason. We never really understand why they do things the way they do – things seem very inefficient and unnecessary to us, but I just do what they ask. I only complained about the Practice Week thing, nothing else really bothered me. I think because my assistant is wonderful and tries to explain things but she doesn’t even know why sometimes.

I went for lunch on campus and actually got something a little different. I have no idea where my carrots have been lately, but there is nothing orange on display. I decided to go with my second favorite, potatoes (like fresh cut fries but more flat) and added some green beans of course with my rice. The green beans were not the best, but it was something a little different. Also, my rice just didn’t seem good today either – what I wouldn’t do to have some salt every now and again. I don’t salt hardly anything at home, but the rice can be just plain boring and tasteless sometimes.

I reluctantly decided to start the walk to the west gate to get on the bus. It’s so very hot and humid here that I’m sweating just 3 minutes into my 12 or so minute walk. So, I walk slowly … very slowly to the gate trying to stay in the shade. I think my L.L. Bean Messenger bag with my computer probably weighs as much as I’ve lost since February (28 pounds) but I’m sure it’s probably less than that. I better have lost at least five pounds while I’ve been here!! I’ve been sweating like a crazy person and climbing stairs like a champ some days.

Once back in the apartment, I lay in the relaxing air conditioning and get so comfortable that I fall asleep but not before hearing what sounded like an ice cream truck playing “It’s a Small World”. Of course there were no words, but I can recognize that song anywhere! It really is a small world, folks. Who would have thought I’d come to China and be working with a girl who I taught her sister! Back to the nap – I slept for two hours! I usually only nap when I’m not feeling well. I feel ok but I think the heat is taking a toll on me and also there have been days where I know I’ve not had enough water.

Around 7, I asked Tom if he wanted to go see our new friend Jackie. He said he’d already eaten but he’d walk along with me. As I was outside my apartment waiting for him, I looked out to the street and there was Erin! What crazy timing! She decided she would come and meet us at Jackie’s place. Tom and I arrived at the place and Jackie wasn’t there, it was the two younger guys who seemed as though they were training several days ago. I ordered my chicken and then Tom decided he would take some chicken and fries as well. While the three of us were sitting there, up pulls this odd looking truck with boxes in the back. It was Jackie driving like a crazy person doing a sudden stop. He had ice cream to fill up his cooler (there are a lot of ice cream coolers all over town and campus). He said the ladies that work at the computer place (beside the chicken place and across the street) love the ice cream. He came to say hello to us and he met Tom but he had to leave to go back home or something, so no pictures tonight. I promise I’ll make sure to get a picture of the pig sign at the place that serves chicken and of our friend Jackie.

No comments:

Post a Comment