Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Beginning of the End (June 11th)


This is the fifth week of classes – really, I’ve been here that long already? Today I handed back the students practice week papers, the lowest grade was an 88% with most of the grades being above a 95% so they did well. After I handed their grades back, it was time for a quiz on what they had done the week before. I tell you, I got a real gem of an assistant. She arranged for us to use both classrooms, one for section 113 and one for section 114, that are beside each other so we could split the students up to take the test. That really helped with the cheating aspect of things!

Between classes, I got one set of tests graded. Amazing results – I guess they really did know what they were doing and might not have copied everything from their friend. Who am I kidding?!?! They still copied last week’s assignments!

I ventured to the cafeteria for lunch. It was a real treat today to get both carrots and potatoes with my rice. The lady that sometimes gets my food is usually taking the money during the “rush hours” of 11 – 1. She sees my food and I swear she knows it’s mine before looking at me. She just smiles and hands me my change. My lunch cost 4 RMB (so about 65 cents).

Back in the office, I print out the final – all three versions! The thing is six pages long, which isn’t bad but I think the printer is going to catch on fire with the steam coming out of that thing. It must be the dampness in the paper because of the humidity and the heat the ink generates or something. I don’t know, but it can be scary to watch.

After going back to my apartment, I relaxed for awhile and then headed out to Century Mart for the essentials – banana chips and some apple juice. I walk past the “Chicken Place” and see my friend, Jackie. He remembered my name and asked where Erin was. I told her she was in Beijing and he said how that was far away. I told him I might see him tomorrow night. He’s wondered where we’ve been.

I swear my sleeping schedule is still out of whack. I haven’t been able to go to sleep at a decent hour. It’s been past midnight for most nights. That doesn’t seem too bad until the alarm clock goes off at 6:15 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment