Here’s
how the Chinese take tests. They “help” each other, or in our terms, they
cheat! Even though there were two versions of the test, they still felt the
need to help their friends. I’ve only graded half the tests at this point, but
I feel like some of them need a better friend! ;) Ha ha – that should teach
them. I did have one perfect score so far and that didn’t include her bonus
points from being on the winning Jeopardy team. Angelina, who is more beautiful
than Angelina Jolie, was the first 105% exam I’ve graded.
We
went to the “noodle place” for dinner. Before we went into the noodle place, we
stopped at a fruit store. Erin has been looking for pineapple guy outside the
apartment for a week and thought maybe she could get some at this store where
they would cut it for her – we don’t have knives to cut it ourselves. Instead,
we opted for the quarter of a watermelon. We wanted it cut in half so we could
split it, so here comes the charades again. Erin used her hand as if it was a
meat cleaver and the woman understood. Not only did she slice the watermelon in
half, she cut it into slices. How nice!
Excited
about our sliced watermelon, we walk down the street to see a light tan poodle
with a pink tail just running down the street and a guy selling sneakers out of
the back of his bright yellow car. We arrive at the “noodle place” and the lady
who greets us smiled and knew what we wanted to eat. We are regulars there.
Good thing I like that food – rice, chicken, cucumbers, peanuts, carrots, and
something else in there like lettuce. Again, some of it came home with me to
enjoy later.
Once
I get back to the apartment, I skype with mom, sis, and Aunt April. What a busy
Skype night for me! I only have one more lesson to finish for this week before
I can start preparing stuff for “practice week” which I refer to as something
else. I’m sure you can guess what I’m calling that week of craziness! Fifteen
activities with rubrics and I’m supposed to have the first eight done by
Wednesday. HA! I’m not guaranteeing anything!
I
guess instead of writing this, I best get to grading tests, preparing a lesson
on cash flow statements and financial ratios and calculations, and preparing
practice week activities and rubrics. Don’t be jealous of all the fun I’m
having in China! ;)
Happy
Memorial Day! Thanks to all our service men and women who stay away from home
in some crazy conditions in some remote lands. I know I could never do it and
I’m so grateful that they do (or did)!
Nice to see you yesterday! Charades, cheating, ... you would think if China is so much more advanced than we are, they would come up with better ways to communicate and cheat! BTW, how was the German restaurant destroyed?
ReplyDeleteLearning so much from your Chinese adventure, thanks for sharing your journey!