I
was awake at 2:30 in the morning (China time) and could not go back to sleep!
Richard is picking me up at “half past seven” to go back to the airport. I
swear it seems as though we are hundreds of miles away from there but I’m sure
it’s really not as bad as I think. I’m awake at 2:30 in the morning! Welcome to
a time zone 12 hours difference from yours. I did fall back asleep around 4:45
to about 5:30 though. Richard arrives in his black Toyota Camry at 7:50 and
checks me out of the hotel. We didn’t drive straight to the airport, instead we
went to a parking area right across the street from the “Birds Nest”, or
stadium, home to the Beijing Summer Olympics of 2008! So my inner tourist came
out and of course was excited to see something recognizable. I saw the Olympic
rings and the torch area. There is a hotel to the left of the stadium that has
a T.G.I.Friday restaurant. Am I in China?
From
there we took a taxi to the airport. The Beijing airport seems ginormous – I
would guess so since this place is amazingly huge! The interesting thing about
this airport is that you don’t go directly to China Air to check in. You have
to go to a specific counter for your flight. I exchange $200 for 1167 RMB. I
really have no idea how much money I’m going to need but figured that would be
good to get me started. We proceed to security where it is not much different
from the States. You aren’t allowed liquids, you have to take out your laptops,
but you do not have to take off your shoes nor body scanners. It was a pretty
easy and quick process.
We
finally board the flight around 10:45. I am pretty sure I’m the only blonde on
the entire flight! This plane was what I’m used to 3 and 3 seats. It seemed
newer with the drop down screens to show the emergency procedures. There are
messages from flight attendants given in Chinese and then also in English –
whew! We had to sit on the runway for quite some time – probably 15 or more
minutes until we took off for our about two hour flight.
Our flight included lunch which surprised me – we don’t have that in the States anymore! Chicken and noodles or something and rice were the options for today. I went with the chicken and noodles which thankfully were just lo mein noodles. We also had a celery salad with some other stuff in there which I didn’t care for, a half a peach and pear, and a roll with something in it – I didn’t eat that either.
View Larger Map
We
pulled into an apartment complex and I have to register with the doorman, more
like gateman to get the key. Apartment 2304 is mine. Poor Gary and Richard
carried my luggage up three flights of stairs – yeah, I’m on the third floor
(the second number in the apartment number determines the floor) and there are
no elevators here. Erin comes over and welcomes me. It’s so nice to be able to
talk to someone who knows English as their first language! Meanwhile, Richard
and Gary are working on my Internet. Unfortunately, Gary has the information at
his office so I’m still not connected to the world.
Next
on the agenda is for Richard to go check into his hotel while Erin and I talk
and go meet some other teachers (not from Kaplan) in the apartment complex. Tom
is two doors down and he’s from Canada. Tom is an older gentleman, I’d say
55ish and has cerebral palsy. He and Erin invite me to their Sunday coffee
dates. At the end of the floor past Tom’s apartment is Kareem from Memphis. He
along with Chinese girlfriend, Jeannie stop to say hello.
Gary
and Richard come to pick up Erin, Tom, and me for dinner. This is where it gets
fun, folks. We went to the Broadway Hotel for a traditional Chinese meal. I really
wish I would have had my camera for this but I didn’t. We meet Mr. Lou (Lo),
someone at the college outside and go into the restaurant/hotel. We have a
private room where I learn the most respected (and the one paying the bill)
sits facing the door while the honorary person sits to their right, in this
case, it was me. The first awkward moment is that there are chopsticks, the
second is that Mr. Lou doesn’t speak English and he’s talking to me, the third
is when the food starts coming in, the fourth is when our glasses are filled
with Great Wall red wine. I could write a book on my first “traditional Chinese
meal”!
They
were gracious enough to give me a fork – whew – what a relief! There were
probably five different things on the lazy suzan type table. You spin the table
around and take what you want, everyone just sticks their chopsticks, or forks
in my case, and grabs and growls. The food doesn’t seem to stop, they keep
bringing and bringing and bringing. I’m still waiting for the orange chicken, the
general tso, or the sweet and sour. Oh folks, this is not the China Buffet in
Chambersburg! I think Mr. Lou wanted me to try everything but I just couldn’t
do it! I definitely did step out of my comfort zone here … but I had to! Here’s
some of the food we had, at least what I can remember: shrimp with heads, a
black jell-o looking something, cabbage, some meat that was maybe pork (I don’t
know but I ate it), chicken feet, tofu, a tofu and broccoli wrap type thing,
fish with scales and all, Jinhua ham with a white tasteless something, steak,
not our kind of steak, with a bone, a sweet dessert type roll that reminded me
of a non-flaky baklava, “Indian pancakes” which were also sweet with poppy
seeds in them, mushroom soup, noodles, and other food that I just can’t
remember.
So,
what did I eat? Good question. I had steak, yes – even though there were bones.
I had to try a bite of the fish but Mr. Lou gave me the part with no bones. I’m
not a fan! I had some Jinhua ham, two or three bites of mushroom soup, noodles,
two baklava roll things, those are Erin’s favorite, an Indian pancake thing, and
wine. We had LOTS of wine. The traditional Chinese custom is to “cheers” the
entire dinner and your glass is to never be empty. I’ve also learned the gumbay
means to chug it more or less. Mr. Lou was so gracious to cheers and gumbay me
several times. I think at this point I’m about half intoxicated and TIRED. I’m
very tired! Allison comes to dinner to meet me, she is the teaching assistant
in my classroom. She has been teaching the students for the past two weeks
since the other guy up and left. Yep, it wasn’t an emergency at home – he just
up and left for whatever reason. Erin said he was threatening to leave since he
got here. Back to dinner, suddenly, Mr. Lou, Richard, and Gary get up and say
it’s time to go so we went outside to wait for Gary to arrive. He was out
buying an outlet power strip thing and a kettle pot thing to boil my water. I
suppose it is a welcome gift.
We get back to the apartment and I spend some time in Erin’s room talking and getting online to email home since it’s Mother’s Day and I’m 7000 miles away and my Internet doesn’t work yet.
I have a nice big king size
bed but don’t let the size of it fool you. It is like sleeping on concrete!
This thing is so incredibly hard! I think this may be how the Chinese have flat
butts! I was sleeping by 10:30 only to wake up at 4:30 … this jet lag thing is
for the birds!
Have you seen a McDonald's, Burger King, or Subway, etc yet? Just wondering because I understand they "Chinese-ize" our foods just like we "Americanize" their foods here! Let me know if you get the chance to eat at one of "our" fast food places!
ReplyDeleteWe went to Pizza Hut the other night. There is a KFC close to the PH. There is also a Dairy Queen around here somewhere.
ReplyDelete