Thursday, May 24, 2012

Birthday Wishes for Mom (May 22nd)

Today is my mother’s birthday. I talked to her after class this morning but it is still Monday evening there, so she got her birthday wishes early! Erin left her computer in the office when she went to class today so I got to send a Facebook birthday wish to mom as well. I also worked on updating the blog. I sure hope you guys are enjoying reading this!

Let me tell you about the taxi ride this morning! I think we had a new driver, he didn’t look much older than 18 at least to me but my age detection of the Chinese isn’t working quite right either! ;) Erin and I rode together this morning and our young taxi driver had one hand on the horn at all times. It was quite annoying. I don’t understand why he was blowing his horn nearly the entire 12 minute ride to school. Not to mention, we narrowly escaped hitting into the back of a Volkswagon something or other. He really hit the brakes hard and I saw both Erin and the driver’s heads lean forward like they were crash test dummies. Thankfully, we arrived at the west gate unscathed.
 
The rest of the day was pretty “normal”. That said, I’ll have to talk about dinner. Erin and I went to the “noodle place” as we refer to it. It’s really close to our place, about a 5 minute walk – that’s part of the reason we like it so much. The woman who works at the register and takes our order looked at us and smiled. She remembers us … it’s not hard, we’re two of FEW American’s around. Last time we got a little takeout menu thing that we circled our dish of choice to help us remember what it was that we got. Erin tries to tell them that we want our food to go. They weren’t understanding each other (I wasn’t understanding ANYHING) so Erin went and grabbed one of the “to go” containers. Still, our food came out on plates. Apparently Erin’s charades didn’t work this time. So, we sat there and pointed to the containers and THEN they realized to package it up and we were out. Erin tried to leave without paying, not on purpose of course, but it was funny.

1 comment:

  1. OMG ... just so you know, this one made me laugh hysterically for some reason! I had tears from laughter!

    ReplyDelete